Monday, November 17, 2008

Happy 40th Anniversary Mom and Dad.

Today is my parents 40th wedding anniversary. I wish my dad was alive to see it, but I know he does, I know he's with my mom right now in spirit.

40 years. I haven't even been alive that long and that's how long my parents were married (just shy of), let alone they dated for 2 years prior. I am in awe of the commitment they shared. My mom spoke a little of it tonight. To sum some of it up, this is her take on marriage and how they lasted that long.

"The only way I see marriage working and the way our marriage lasted was this, it has to be two people who are completely committed to the union of forever. There has to be a constant consideration of each other and the commitment they made. It can't have one person who is offensive to the other or to their commitment to each other. Sure there are rough times, but it is very important for both people involved to be moving towards that goal of 'forever' together."

She spoke more about it, but I kind of want to keep that for myself (and Josh). I have been blessed in life, being raised by parents who actually stayed together. I know I am lucky to have that. I wish everyone did. I like the idea of moving towards forever together. I miss my dad.

Here's to forever. Happy 40th Anniversary Mom and Dad. xoxo





2 comments:

Bald Ben said...

I love those pictures of your parents. I can only hope we are all as lucky.

lady.shiv said...

That is lovely. Your mom's a smart lady. And your parents were such babes.